Friday, February 1, 2019

Testing the Hypothesis Part 1

Opportunity: Residents living at Beaty Towers are unaware of parking restrictions in front of Beaty, services provided by maintenance and package receiver process because they are either uninformed or misinformed when they move in.

Interviewee 1: Sofia Barness
Do you and your roommates share this problem? Others who live in the building?

- Yes my roommates and I share the same problem, whenever we hear something new neither of us knew about, we always inform each other about it because if not, we wont know about it. 

How often and in depth are you informed about services that are available to you? Were you aware about the parking restrictions around Beaty before, after or during or residency here? When did you become familiar with the package receiver process? Are there any other things that you were not informed about that you are aware of now? Has this caused any issues for you?

- I was not very informed coming into Beaty, and during preview I was not allowed to tour Beaty, which is definitely weird considering I was considering living there. I was not aware about the parking restrictions until my friend started getting parking tickets for parking in front of Beaty. I became familiar with package receiver process when I received my first package. I was unaware about all the services that maintenance provides and that there is a printer downstairs for on campus residents. 

Why do you believe you were unaware of this knowledge? Did you not look into it? were you misinformed? Were you not informed at all?

- I don't believe I was very informed about these things before or during move in. We are just told, "If you have questions, just come and ask."

Reflection: After interviewing Sofia, it is clear that she was not very informed until she was faced with problems or needs for maintenance.

Interviewee 2: Sarah Hanley

Do you and your roommates share this problem? Others who live in the building?

- My roommates and I were unaware of orange parking decals in front of Beaty and the services that maintenance provides.

How often and in depth are you informed about services that are available to you? Were aware about the parking restrictions around Beaty before, after or during or residency here? When did you become familiar with the package receiver process? Are there any other things that you were not informed about that you are aware of now? Has this caused any issues for you?

- Never was informed about services that were available to me. I was aware that I was not able to park in front of Beaty but was not informed that the parking was lifting at certain times everyday and on the weekends. I became aware of package receiver process when I got my first package and I asked how. I was not informed that there was printing downstairs in Beaty which was annoying considering I always walked to the Reitz Union to print a few pages which has made me late to certain events.

Why do you believe you were unaware of this knowledge? Did you not look into it? were you misinformed? Were you not informed at all?

- I was not informed at all about my services that I am paying for.

Reflection: After interviewing Sarah, she seemed very uninformed until she asked questions.

Interviewee 3: Michelle Leanez

Do you and your roommates share this problem? Others who live in the building?

-I feel like most people are unaware because they don't ask until they're faced with a parking ticket or are faced with a problem.

How often and in depth are you informed about services that are available to you? Were aware about the parking restrictions around Beaty before, after or during or residency here? When did you become familiar with the package receiver process? Are there any other things that you were not informed about that you are aware of now? Has this caused any issues for you?

- I am informed when I actually have a problem because I have to ask what to do but other than that, never really informed about maintenance or services. I was informed about Beaty parking restrictions during residency here. I was aware of package receiver process when Beaty sent an email stating there was a new locker system downstairs but not how to use it. I was not informed about pest control being free of service and that was one of our issues.

Why do you believe you were unaware of this knowledge? Did you not look into it? were you misinformed? Were you not informed at all?

- I don't feel as if I was very informed about Iservices or package receiver process.

- Reflection: After interviewing Michelle, it is obvious that she wishes for more opportunities to be informed on services and parking restrictions.

Interviewee 4: Emily Carver

Do you and your roommates share this problem? Others who live in the building?

-I've heard a lot of stories of residents who didn't know the we could rent brooms and vacuums downstairs and many people have bought those things when its available downstairs.

How often and in depth are you informed about services that are available to you? Were aware about the parking restrictions around Beaty before, after or during or residency here? When did you become familiar with the package receiver process? Are there any other things that you were not informed about that you are aware of now? Has this caused any issues for you?

- I honestly feel that I am not informed at all about Beaty services or parking restrictions until my residency here. Were told about socials that are happening downstairs but it isn't informational at all. I became familiar with package receiver process when I got my first package. I was unaware that there was a printer downstairs and that we could not park in front of Beaty and because I have a car, this was an issue and I was getting parking tickets without knowing why.

Why do you believe you were unaware of this knowledge? Did you not look into it? were you misinformed? Were you not informed at all?

-I don't believe we were informed as much as we should've been. How are we supposed to know what questions to ask until were faced with a problem? I'd rather avoid the problem before I'm faced with it.

Reflection: After interviewing Emily, I can conclude she wishes more information was provided to her and that should be the employees of Beaty responsibilities.

Interviewee 5: Marissa 

Do you and your roommates share this problem? Others who live in the building?

- Me and roommates have asked many questions, therefore, we are knowledgeable about the services provided and parking restrictions. But if it weren't for us asking, we would have no idea.

How often and in depth are you informed about services that are available to you? Were you aware about the parking restrictions around Beaty before, after or during or residency here? When did you become familiar with the package receiver process? Are there any other things that you were not informed about that you are aware of now? Has this caused any issues for you?

-We are not very informed about the services here. If we are faced with a problem, we ask what we can do and they just tell us to put in an I service request to deal with it. I was not aware of parking restrictions until my friend started getting parking citations. I became familiar with package receiver process when i ordered a textbook online and asked how I would know it is was delivered here.

Why do you believe you were unaware of this knowledge? Did you not look into it? were you misinformed? Were you not informed at all?

- I think the Beaty staffs just relies on the situation where we are faced with getting a package or having a question about a service, they'll just tell us.

Reflection: After interviewing Marissa, I can conclude she is aware of most services and parking restrictions because her and her roommates have gone out of their way to ask questions.

3 comments:

  1. I think the thought process behind wanting to better educate the people living at Beaty Towers represents a good opportunity in the scope of educating. The third interview in particular really highlights a resource missing to most on campus students that is in fact readily available, but one rarely accessed due to the blunders of communication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this a great issue and opportunity that could be represented but I feel like it can only be an opportunity for the housing department. Other than that, the issues you bring up at Beaty are good since I’m currently living there as well, and I wasn’t informed of most things until either my roommates or the RA told us. There is definitely a need to be better educated in the services we get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your interviews were very thorough and provided valuable information. It is obvious that the advisors of Beaty Towers aren't aware of what is occurring. I think the University would be open to fixing this problem if it was as easy as educating the incoming freshman. I would take this assignment further and actually see if you can get this solved! Great work!

    ReplyDelete