The book I chose to read is The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck
1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
- The general theme and lesson of the book was that success can be reached by your beliefs and your mindset. She categorized the unsuccessful and successful mindsets into two categories: fixed mindset and growth mindset. She explained that fixed mindset people feel that their skills, potential, talents, etc. are fixed at birth and can no longer change. Growth mindset people believe that your talents and potential cannot be measured and that they constantly stretch and grow.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
- This book talked about the mindset necessary for you to be a successful leader, entrepreneur, etc. This class is expanding our mind on what it takes to think outside the box, thinking about consumer approach, demander perspective, etc. If you have an optimistic and determined mindset throughout your entrepreneurial career, even if you have many falls, you will come out successful.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
- I would create multiple scenarios that are common in the work place and personal life that are challenging to most people. Such as: a boss turning down your promotion or a relative telling you that you'll never make it. With these scenarios, the class will determine what their response, mindset and next step would. These responses will determine whether the student has a fixed or growth mindset.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
- The biggest surprise to me was when the book was discussing at what age these mindsets are developed. Studies have shown that these mindsets are developed at around the age of four. I always thought that these mindsets developed at an age where you have a better understanding of future challenges and the environments around you.
I actually ended up reading this very book! I thought it was a very interesting read, and it is definitely a concept that I keep close to my heart. The difference between having a fixed mindset and a growth mindset is instrumental in determining one's success. I also thought that your exercise idea was very interesting because overcoming failure in and of itself, is a large part of success!
ReplyDeleteI chose to read a different book so reading your reflection was very interesting. I completely agree that your mindset has full control over your success. Positivity goes a long way and I think thats exactly what this book was getting at. It was super interesting to see when a mindset develops. To me, I feel like my mindset has changed as things happen to me in life, or at an age when I mature. I think your exercise for the class was very original and would benefit the students. Great work!
ReplyDelete