Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Reading Reflection: Steve Jobs


1) You read about an entrepreneur:
·       What surprised you the most?
-       I had no idea that Steve Jobs was an orphan child and adopted graduate students. I found his birth parents very interesting; how they could not keep him because of religious reasons but still wanted him to be adopted by parents that would secure his educational future.
·       What about the entrepreneur did you most admire?
-       The main thing I admired about Steve Jobs is what can be admired in many other famous entrepreneurs or inventors that have left a legacy, which is persistence and determination, even after failure.
·       What about the entrepreneur did you least admire?
-       The book portrays him as an arrogant person who was not liked many people. This had an effect on his early work life and relationship with his adopted parents.
·       Did the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? If so, what did they do about it?
- Yes, with his initial release of the Mac in 1984, he experienced setbacks because of competition. He came back with a Super bowl commercial that spiked publicity in the Mac.
2) What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited? 
- Steve Jobs exhibited what his team called reality distortion field (RDF), which meant that when Jobs decided something should happen, he would make it reality, and this spread throughout his team.
3) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.
- The reading talks about the 1984 Super bowl commercial on Jobs new Mac and how it spiked publicity. So, I looked it up and I don’t quite understand the setting and how it relates to the message.
4) If you were able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why?
- What do think when there are people telling you that your ideas will never make it or that you’ll never make it?
·      I feel as though every entrepreneur goes through this struggle.
- Do you have any regrets in the relationships you had over the course of your life?
·      As someone who must spend most of his/her time on their invention or idea or business, it can be very easy to lose focus of all the other important aspects of your life.
5) For fun: what do you think the entrepreneur's opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion?
- I think Steve Jobs was hungry for new ideas and those ideas becoming reality, while convincing everyone else to agree. His main message is that any goal or dream you have has the possibility of becoming reality and I do believe that as well.

1 comment:

  1. I think that its great that you were able to learn more about Steve Jobs from the reading! Since the serious commercial success of Apple products, I think that he's become a very hot topic as to examining the roots of Apple's success. I think I'd ask him more probing questions to really pick Jobs' mind, since it wouldn't be everyday you'd get to talk to such highly successful individuals, but I enjoyed reading your responses, and am glad that you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete