Friday, January 18, 2019

Forming an Opportunity Belief: A Twist on Opportunity Identification

When I first heard the word "Opportunity" in this class, immediately I thought of the opportunities that are brought to us, such as internships, study abroad or job opportunities. I was baffled when we were actually talking about everyday problems in society that could have a realistic solution to them. It had me looking at the word "opportunity" very differently. Once I understood what it meant, I began to think of a few problems that I have encountered being here at the University of Florida. As an off campus student, I have faced issues with not being exposed to on campus activities, club meetings, events, study sessions, etc., as opposed to being on campus and having flyers scattered and advertising almost anywhere. I believe most students who live off campus face this need and it has always existed. The only ways to to meet this need are to subscribe to campus news letters and even then, we are still not informed about everything, therefore, I am 100% sure this opportunity exists.

(All interviewees are off-campus living UF students) 

Interview 1: Heather Ha

What is the exact nature of the need?
- Living off-campus makes it difficult to be informed about the various events and activities going on on-campus, which is frustrating for me because I like to be very involved all the time.

When did you become aware of the need? Did you experience this need all the time or only sometimes? 
- Well last year in the spring and summer, i lived in a dorm on campus and everything so easy access. There flyers in our dorms about clubs looking for new members and last minute events going on in the Reitz Union or Turlington that allowed me to branch out and network. It was definitely beneficial for me, as a freshman, to start off being very exposed to the people and opportunities around me.

How long have you had this need? 
- I moved to an apartment off-campus in the Fall of last year (2018) and since then i hear my friends and classmates tell me their at this event and another free study session and it was frustrating because some of those things could've helped me get a better grade on an exam or could've given me something to put on my resume and I had no idea about it.

When did you first become aware of your need? Why?
- Like i said, When I moved to an off-campus apartment and it became difficult to be involved.

How are you currently addressing your need?
- I try to spend as much time on campus, even if i don't need to be. I even started working at Marston and that did help with the information that came to me because a lot of things are advertised at the libraries.

How satisfied are you with this solution? 
- Working at Marston does help getting better informed but many times that means I have to stay on campus for long periods of time when I'm tired or hungry and don't want to spend money to buy Chick-fil-A.

Interview 2: Brandon Hunter

What is the exact nature of the need?
- I want to be more involved in school with on campus activities but living off campus make it difficult.

When did you become aware of the need? Did you experience this need all the time or only sometimes?
- I just moved back to Gainseville this spring to an off-campus apartment so i just realized this need.

How long have you had this need? 
-Since i moved back the beginning of this year

When did you first become aware of your need? Why?
- When i first moved back, I was focused on settling in and getting used to my classes. It wasn't until the second week when I was looking for clubs to join that i was out of the loop on everything.

How are you currently addressing your need?
- I am in a fraternity right now so I am involved in our events on and off campus.
How satisfied are you with this solution?
- It suffices for right now but I would like to be more involved with sports and study sessions and my fraternity is not focused on those things. 

Interview 3: Brian Ardavin

What is the exact nature of the need?
- I am a student living off-campus and I like to be very involved with on campus activities, events and opportunities but I'm not sure where to start looking to even find that.

When did you become aware of the need? Did you experience this need all the time or only sometimes? 
- I just moved back in the spring to an apartment off-campus and I didn't realize how much the information was just given to me when i lived on campus until now.

How long have you had this need?
- Ever since I moved to the apartment. 

When did you first become aware of your need? Why?
- I already knew this was going to be an issue when I moved back here because everything is provided for you on campus and UF does little to inform off-campus students.

How are you currently addressing your need?
- I try to spend as much time on campus as I can; I am subscribed to UF newsletter.

How satisfied are you with this solution?
- Honestly it's not much of a difference. All the advertising, rushing and commotion happens on campus; If I'm not there, I don't know about it.


Reflection: Talking to these students who once lived on campus, made me realize how much information and opportunities are just handed to us. People are always at Turlington passing out flyers and advertising and things like that just make it more information more accessible and easier for students to be more involved.
Summary: I believe that even after interviewing these three students, the opportunity is still 100% there, even more so accurate. I definitely think that entrepreneurs should adapt their opportunity based on customer feedback. Maybe the opportunity they thought was the biggest problems is actually the least of the customers worries. Or maybe the customer will help them look at a different angle or perspective of the opportunity. Either way it's always smart to take in customer feedback. 



No comments:

Post a Comment